Behind the scenes with the OA team: Kirsty

Kyle Brady
Friday 19 October 2018

In the last in this series of posts introducing the Open Access Team, we have Kirsty. Kirsty is the newest member of the team, joining the team in 2015. Amongst many other things, Kirsty assists with creating Pure records for new staff, and with monitoring newly created publication records. Kirsty also has the ‘Full text not validated’ filter to capture Pure records with files attached (described in the first post), and her filter consists of  the 2 Geography Schools – Geography and Sustainable Development and Earth and Environmental Sciences.

1. What do you say when people ask, “So, what do you do for a living?”

My answer changes every time I’m asked and it depends on who is asking.  Mostly, I say I help monitor and update the University’s research information system, and help researchers’ make their work accessible to the public.  If I’m feeling extra bold I’ll say I’m a librarian within the Digital Research division of the library – but that usually sparks more questions.

2. What’s the first thing you did when you came in to work today?

I signed into the University’s research information system and checked my most important filters first – to see if any rogue activity had happened overnight that needed my immediate attention – there was!  Then I sifted through my emails to check if any new publication alerts had popped up.  We had a team catch-up first thing so I familiarised myself with the points going to be raised to see if I could bring anything fresh to the table. 

3. What do you spend most of your time doing, day-to-day?

Checking for new content through the various publication channels, importing said content if not already entered into the system, and then asking for additional information from researchers.  Enhancing records, validation, and lots of investigative work! But every day is different – I always get distracted with new tasks that have attracted my attention, which I like.

4. Favourite part of the job?

The variety, no two days are ever the same!  I also like the fact I am surrounded by an abundance of stimulating research material from across the University.  I do like to think I am helping showcase such research for the rest of the world to see!

5. Least favourite part of the job?

When the network is down!  Feels like leaving your phone at home – absolutely lost! Oh, and writing emails!

6. What led you to work in the field of Open Access?

In my previous role I assisted occasionally with Open Access in relation to the School, and then was approached by the Library to continue my efforts centrally.

7. If you could change one thing in the world of academia what would it be, and why?

Academia should be for those who desire it – it shouldn’t be restrictive…